This salad recipe was inspired by Pickled Seaweed. You can swap the seaweed “bacon” — a type of red algae that, when cooked, has a distinctly bacon-like taste — for pancetta, if preferred.
- 2 large eggs
- 0.9 oz (25 g) seaweed “bacon” or 2.5 oz (75 g) pancetta, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (100 g) pea shoots
- 3 cup (100 g) baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (80 g) Pickled Seaweed
- sea salt
- dried seaweed flakes
- extra virgin olive oil
- To soft-boil the eggs, bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the eggs, and reduce to a rapid simmer. Cook for 7 minutes. If you prefer hard-boiled eggs, simmer for 9 minutes. Drain, cool under cold running water and then peel and halve. Set aside.
- Pan-fry the seaweed “bacon” (or pancetta) until crisp.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine the seaweed “bacon” with the pea shoots, baby spinach and Pickled Seaweed. Arrange the salad in a shallow dish.
- Place the halved eggs on the salad and serve scattered with a little sea salt, some seaweed flakes and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Also from The Seaweed Cookbook:
Reprinted from The Seaweed Cookbook: Discover the Health Benefits and Uses of Seaweed, with 50 Delicious Recipes by Nicole Pisani and Kate Adams, published by Firefly Books, 2018.