Photo by Adobe Stock/avoferten
Learn about goldenrod’s other healthful qualities in Goldenrod: The Wildflower with A Heart of Gold.
- 4 tablespoons goldenrod
- 1 quart spring water
- 3 tablespoons peppermint leaves
- 2 cups evaporated cane sugar
- Add goldenrod and water to a heavy-bottomed pan and cover with a lid.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Remove from heat, and add peppermint. Replace lid.
- Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain and measure remaining liquid. You should have about 2 cups.
- Add the same amount of sugar as you have liquid. Stir until dissolved.
- Bottle and keep in the refrigerator.
This syrup can be used 1 teaspoon at a time to alleviate a cough. It will store in the refrigerator for about a month.