Serve this jeweled saffron quinoa as a healthy side dish with an entrée, or as a light lunch.
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water (or vegetable or chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 2 tablespoons crushed unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and water (or broth) to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook the quinoa for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the water or broth is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the green onions, garlic, carrots, and salt and pepper. Sauté gently until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the saffron threads and cooked quinoa. Heat until warm.
- Remove from heat and place in a large bowl. Top with cashews, parsley, cranberries, tomatoes, and lemon zest. Stir and serve.
Learn more about this coveted spice’s history and how to grow saffron in Garden Gold: Grow Your Own Saffron.