In Praise of the Pumpkin
Pumkin Soup Recipe
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1-1/2 cups sliced onion or 1/4 cup dried leeks
• 1/2 cup dehydrated wild forest or baby bella mushrooms or 2 chunked Portabella mushrooms
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander or cilantro
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup of desired whole grain: quinoa, farro, or barley
• Olive oil
• Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Soften fresh onions, mushrooms and garlic in a tablespoon or two of water over moderate heat.
2. When soft, let water evaporate then add 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown.3. Combine stock, pumpkin, browned veggies, dried veggies, grain of choice and herb of choice in a Dutch oven or stock pot. Simmer until pumpkin is tender.
4. Lightly mash soup or puree if you prefer.
5. Garnish with any of the following: homemade croutons browned in garlic-scented olive oil; Greek yogurt and pepitas; sprigs of the herbs (same as used in the soup).