Photo by Adobe Stock/Brent Hofacker
You can use this recipe to save and serve any of your favorite radish varieties, as well as give them an extra kick of flavor. Yield: 12 servings.
- 12 globe radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Combine all ingredients. Ladle them into a 1-pint Mason jar and seal with a tight-fitting lid.
- Place the jar in the refrigerator. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 1 hour before serving. The flavor will be enhanced as the pickles rest in the fridge, but be sure to eat them within a month!
For more about radishes, see Fall for Radishes.
Sheryl Normandeau is a Master Gardener and writer from Calgary, Alberta. She grows mostly vegetables, but also plants perennial flowers, and always has a few projects in the works. Read more about her pursuits on her blog, Flowery Prose.