In Praise of the Pumpkin
Thai Curry and Coconut Pumpkin Soup Recipe
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 cup onion, minced
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1-2 teaspoons Thai Red Curry paste, more if you like it hotter
• 6 kaffir lime leaves, middle vein removed and torn into pieces
• 4 cups vegetable broth or stock
• 1 (13-14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
• Toasted coconut for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds.
3. Brush squash with oil, place cut side down on a baking sheet.
4. Roast for 45 minutes or until very tender.
5. Cool and scoop the flesh out of the peel using a spoon.
6. In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
7. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
8. Add the curry paste and cook for a few more minutes. The curry will start to give off a wonderful aroma.
9. Stir in the broth, coconut milk, salt, pumpkin puree and shredded lime leaves.
10. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.
11. Puree soup with a hand mixer or in a blender.
12. Garnish with unsweetened coconut toasted at 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.