Pickled Seaweed Salad Recipe
This salad recipe was inspired by Pickled Seaweed. You can swap the seaweed “bacon” — a type of red algae that, when cooked, has a distinctly bacon-like taste — for pancetta, if preferred.
- 2 large eggs
- 0.9 oz (25 g) seaweed “bacon” or 2.5 oz (75 g) pancetta, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (100 g) pea shoots
- 3 cup (100 g) baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (80 g) Pickled Seaweed
- sea salt
- dried seaweed flakes
- extra virgin olive oil
- To soft-boil the eggs, bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the eggs, and reduce to a rapid simmer. Cook for 7 minutes. If you prefer hard-boiled eggs, simmer for 9 minutes. Drain, cool under cold running water and then peel and halve. Set aside.
- Pan-fry the seaweed “bacon” (or pancetta) until crisp.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine the seaweed “bacon” with the pea shoots, baby spinach and Pickled Seaweed. Arrange the salad in a shallow dish.
- Place the halved eggs on the salad and serve scattered with a little sea salt, some seaweed flakes and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Also from The Seaweed Cookbook:
Reprinted from The Seaweed Cookbook: Discover the Health Benefits and Uses of Seaweed, with 50 Delicious Recipes by Nicole Pisani and Kate Adams, published by Firefly Books, 2018.
Garden to Table: Spring Treats
Enjoy the fresh bounty of your home garden with these yummy recipes for spring treats.
Seaweed Slaw Recipe
Forgo traditional store-bought coleslaw, which is laden with mayo, for this light, flavorful version that features dried dulse, fresh herbs, and yogurt.
Pumpkin, Wild Rice, and Lemongrass Salad Recipe
Read why the author calls this dish — lemongrass dressing highlighting sweet roasted pumpkin — a salad of dramatic contrasts.